Chipotle and Coffee Chicken Wings
One of the things that I learned while cooking with Starbucks VIA is that coffee combines beautifully with chili powder and chipotle peppers. Who knew.
You will need:
Fresh chicken wings
2 C Starbucks VIA Italian Roast
1 medium onion, diced
1/2 small can of the Chipotle peppers in Adobo sauce (look for it in the Latin section of the supermarket, near the canned jalapeños)
2 T honey
2 T minced garlic
2 T Worcestershire sauce
Pinch of salt
1 tsp cumin
2 C Canola oil
1 T butter
1. Melt butter in a medium pan and add the onions. Cook for about 2-3 minutes.
2. Add salt, garlic, cumin, and Worcestershire sauce and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring.
3. Add the Chipotle peppers (the more you add, the hotter it will be – use sparingly!) and coffee and let it simmer for another 10 minutes.
4. Turn off the heat and add honey.
5. Let the mixture cool off (I added some ice cubes)
6. In a plastic bag combine the wings and marinade. Let them sit in the fridge for at least 3-4 hours, or overnight)
7. Take the wings out (reserve the liquid) and pat them very dry with a paper towel.
8. Heat up the Canola oil in a large pan (you will need about 1.5”-2”) to 375F.
9. Coat the wings in cornstarch and fry them in batches until golden brown.
10. To make sauce, in a separate pan bring the marinate to a boil, add cornstarch to thicken.
11. Coat the wings in the delicious sauce and serve them up with plenty of napkins!!!